The Mammoth Lakes real estate market continues to stabilize as we enter September. After a crazy couple of years, locally it is no longer a sellers’ market and things are more balanced. In a balanced market buyers tend to place reasonable offers on homes and sellers tend to accept them. In most cases, homes remain on the market for a moderate amount of time — neither lagging for months nor getting snapped up in mere hours or days. Home prices remain stable or grow at a steady pace. Although pricing and days on market are more stable locally, the YTD median sold price for both condos and single-family homes is up. Interestingly, September 2022 inventory is approximately half of what it was September 2019 (pre-COVID).
What’s Happening in the Mammoth Lakes Real Estate Market?
It is helpful to look at the current market in two different segments: single-family homes and condos/ townhomes. This data is through August 2022.
- The YTD median sales price for condos sold through August 2022 is $795,000 which is up 30% over 2021 and down $5,000 from the previous month.
- The median days on market YTD is 49 days which is down 3 days from 2021. This time-period begins on the day the property is listed and ends when it closes escrow.
- 234 condos have closed escrow so far in 2022 (29 per month) as compared to 2021 when the average was 38 per month. Assuming the trend continues, the result will be 31% fewer condo sales for 2022.
- There are 61 active condos listed for sale as of September 1 compared to 74 last month. There were only 3 condos listed in January 2022. While inventory is up from earlier this year, it is down from pre-COVID levels (September 2019 there were 129 condos listed for sale).
- There are 44 pending sales on September 1 as compared to 36 last month.
- The YTD median sales price for single-family homes through August 2022 is $1,230,000 which is up approximately 15% over 2021 and the same as last month.
- The median days on market is 64 days which is the same as last month and down from 70 days in 2021.
- 61 single-family homes closed escrow through August 2022 (7.6 per month) which is down from 11 average monthly in 2021. Assuming the trend continues, 45% fewer homes will sell in 2022.
- There are 26 active single-family homes listed for sale on September 1 which is up from 32 last month and 10 in January. September 2019 (pre-COVID) inventory was 69.
There are 12 pending sales on September 1 which is down from 9 last month.
What Does This Mean for Mammoth Lakes Area Homeowners and Sellers?
It is important to have realistic expectations when selling your property. Mammoth Lakes is a different market than other areas in California which are mostly focused on full-time owner-occupied properties. This is mostly a second home market and as we transition to a more balanced market, sellers should not expect multiple over asking price offers. While properties are still selling, most are taking longer than they did in the last 24 months. If you are even remotely thinking about selling, contact our team to schedule a no obligation Property Playbook & Strategy session
. With the right strategy and patience, we will get your property sold.
What Does This Mean for Mammoth Lakes Area Home Buyers?
Inventory is slowing increasing which means more options. It does not mean there are “deals” to be had – note the average sold price is still up over 2021. Even with more inventory, buyers still need to be prepared prior to making any offers in this market. Do you have your financials in order? Do you need a pre-approval letter? We can connect you with lenders who have a proven track record of success in our area. Lending rules have changed on many condo projects in Mammoth. Many buyers do not know that not all lenders can lend in certain projects in Mammoth Lakes. We can help you increase your chances of securing the property of your dreams in this tough market so reach out to me for a free consultation to set you on the right path for achieving your goal of owning property in Mammoth Lakes.
Whether you are a seller or a buyer, there is no doubt you will benefit from teaming with an educated and experienced Realtor® to help you navigate this hot market. We have created guides to help with both the buying and selling process. You can access the guides on my website:
- All data are sourced from the Mammoth Lakes Board of Realtors®. Data for Mammoth Lakes ONLY and not the surrounding areas.
- *Median price = middle value. This is used as a good indicator when there is significant data as it minimizes the impact of unusually high or low values and provides a better perspective of the big picture.
- **Total Available excludes properties under contract/pending which have not yet closed.